Thursday 5 March 2015

Existing Album Covers: Rock Conventions














The album cover for Linkin Park's newest album "Hunting party" in the top right corner is different to 'typical' album covers that you see. I also think the art work on the cover is creative and effective. The use of this artwork moves away from the typical conventions of what a stereotypical album cover should look like. The dull colours used are similar to the colours I am wanting to use when creating my album cover for the song. I believe they will fit in well with the genre of music and will look really good with the type of images I am wanting to take for my ancillary texts.
I liked the font on all of the album covers and also the originality of them. Usually album covers like the Fall Out Boy one in the bottom left corner aren't seen which it was makes it stand out. The reason I chose these album covers to look at because I want mine to look as original as I can. I also think they fit in with the genre of my song, sticking with the 'rebellious' or different stereotype that the rock genre of music has. Therefore it is helpful to look at them because it will help me to get an idea of what I want before definitely committing to one idea.

There is a running theme throughout all of these album covers and that is the fact that none of them show the artists on the cover. This is very common in album covers for rock or indie bands. Possibly as a way of them stating that their main focus is on making music rather than trying to promote themselves, also a way of trying to be different from other genres of music such as pop artists who most likely will always be featured on their album cover.
I like the idea of not having the artist on the front cover as it adds a bit of mystery and it means that the audience buying the album wont base whether or not they buy it on the band of artists looks rather than love of their music.

Having artwork on the album cover I think is very effective and looks really good. It is definitely something I will try out when testing ideas out for my album cover. As i feel it is different and would really attract my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment